Are you an eligible claimant for New Jersey unemployment insurance benefits? Do you know where and how to file a claim? The instructions below will give you a general picture of how to claim your unemployment insurance and how to do it in a quicker way. There are never charges to file an Unemployment Insurance claim in any state or territory.
NJ Unemployment Insurance Claim Instructions
If you intend to file an unemployment claim over the Internet, you are recommended to provide your New Jersey driver’s license number or Non-Driver Photo Identification Card number if you have one because it will expedite the processing of your claim. Do not exit before completing the application online unless you must as your information will be lost. Please read the requirements for filing a new claim and security notice at NJSuccess where you can also access information on filing/updating direct deposit, updating address/telephone, and claim inquiry.
- You will need an Unemployment Benefits Online ID and Password in order to continue. If you do not have one, create an account. In addition, get ready your SSN, employer information in the last 18 months, your bank information if you wish to have your benefits directly deposited to your bank, and your Alien Registration Documentation if your are not a U.S. citizen.
- Enter your Online ID and Password to sign in and file an unemployment claim or reopen an existing claim. This application cannot be used to reopen an existing claim if you last collected EUC (extended benefits).
- To apply by telephone, call the Reemployment Call Center between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. There are restrictions on making calls depending on the last digit of your SSN, but online claims may be filed 24/7.
- If you have earned wages with the Federal Government or with a branch of the military, you must file your unemployment claim by telephone.
- Information on how to file an interstate claim or a claim against commuter states of New York, Pennsylvania or Delaware, please refer to File Unemployment Claim.
To claim a weekly benefit payment, you must certify that you meet the weekly eligibility requirements. To receive your unemployment insurance benefits, you must file a bi-weekly certification (Request for Payment) for each week you wish to claim benefits. This service is only available from 7am (EST), to 6pm (EST), Monday through Friday on the Internet. You can claim your benefits by telephone. There are also restrictions on making calls depending on the last digit of your SSN. The telephone lines are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM (Eastern Time), including holidays.
For more detailed information about NJ unemployment insurance, please visit wnjpin.state.nj.us/labor/ui/ui_index.html where you can find calculation of benefits and what’s after the filing process among other things.
Claim your NJ unemployment insurance benefits at www.njuifile.net.
About New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development
New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development deals with workforce-related issues including family leave insurance, social security disability programs, temporary disability insurance program, unemployment insurance, wage & hour, workers’ compensation, workforce development, etc. These programs affect the daily lives of those in the workforce. The website of the Department guides both job seekers and employers.
- New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development Official Website – wnjpin.state.nj.us/labor
- NJ Unemployment Insurance Benefits FAQs – wnjpin.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/faq.html
- Forms & Publications for Claimants and Employers – wnjpin.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/forms_index.html